Alright, so we were both skeptical about this recipe, but the result, although not very pretty, was scrumdiddly! Will’s birthday was today and he requested the infamous Chocolate Avocado Cake created by Joy the Baker. I stayed true to the recipe for the most part and the end product was very impressive.
3 c. flour
6 1/2 tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
2 c. sugar
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 soft, medium-sized avocado
2 c. water
2 tbs. white vinegar
2 tsp. vanilla
LET’S DO IT
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
1. Sift together all the ingredients except for the sugar.
2. Mix all wet ingredients together, including the avocado. I mashed the avocado thoroughly with the oil before I added the other ingredients so it would blend easier.
3. Add sugar to wet mixture.
4. Mix wet in with the dry and beat well into a smooth and delicious-looking mixture.
5. Grease and flour cupcake pan. We didn’t have cupcake holders, so if you have those, feel free to use them. But they were so yummers anyway.
6. Spoon large tablespoonfuls and then some into each holder and bake for 18-10 minutes, checking on them towards the end with a toothpick.
7. While they are cooling, cut around them with a knife so they don’t stick to the pan.
AVOCADO CREAM FROSTING
8 oz. Tofutti cream cheese
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 lb. and then some powdered sugar
1/4-1/2 c. avocado, at your discretion
Combine all ingredients with spatula in a medium bowl. I ran out of cream cheese and probably would have put in more so it was thicker.
Spread this onto your wonderful lil cuppiecakes and you get this!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, WILL!
ME N RACH
Share them with Will’s family and friends and they look like this!
WILL’S BDAY NOTE: So, I was out to dinner with my family at Finch’s (mushroom soup, yummerdoodle) and I told them NOT to get dessert there cuz I had asked Fran to make these and wanted my fam to come back to the apartment and share a bit of my birthday with my friends. As the moment was approaching, I was kind of thinking “Shit shit shit shit shit these are vegan I’ve never had these I hope they’re good my family will think I’m crazy Fran will be heartbroken they’ll think veganism is gross auughahguagughh.” BUT, then we all ate them and my family (especially my mom) loved them. I was so happy. They were great. So great. Too great. Great birthday dessert. High-five Fran.